When it comes to materials for floors, homeowners have a lot of options. When Houzz ran a survey of what flooring was used by their users, 34% responded that they had hardwood flooring in their homes. At least 54% of all home buyers say that they would pay more for a home with hardwood floors, according to the National Association of Realtors. There are a lot of good reasons for this. There are a number of colors and hardwood floor textures that make it a versatile option. Here are some of the reasons to pick this for your home:
- Hardwood floors upgrade the look of any home. No matter which of the hardwood floor textures or colors you select for your home, you add warmth, elegance, style and class to your home when you have hardwood floors installed. People say that they think after they have this kind of flooring installed, their homes feel larger and more inviting.
- They are incredibly versatile. As was already mentioned, there are a lot of floor textures, patterns and colors that are included in the hardwood flooring family. Moreover, even if you renovate your home (without changing the floors), the chances are better than good that, even when you totally change the look and style of your home, your hardwood floors will still go with the style of the home. They are timeless and look great with just about every style.
- You do not have to do a lot of work with hardwood floors. Carpets need constant vacuuming and they do wear down. You will have to replace carpets and rugs long before you have to replace a hardwood floor. About once every week, you should take a few minutes to use a broom or dry mop on your wood flooring. You can also run a vacuum over it (with the proper part for hardwood floors). If you see a spill, it is good to wipe it up but, for the most part, your wood floors can stand up to a lot. Once a year, most people who have this kind of flooring will opt for a deeper clean but, beyond that, there is not much that needs to be done.
- Hardwood floors are strong and last a long time. While it is possible to scratch or dent this kind of flooring, it takes a lot of work to make that happen. If you do notice a scuff mark or scratch, it is easy to get rid of it with a spot cleaner. It has been estimated that these kinds of floor can last at least a few decades.
- If you care about the environment, you probably want hardwood floors in your home. The trees from which the wood for your hardwood floors come are a sustainable resource. They will grow back. Some people are opting for other materials that mimic the look of wood. Bamboo flooring has the same hardwood floor textures but grows a lot faster and is harder than traditional hardwood. This makes it even more sustainable. If you have ever had bamboo in your yard, you know how fast it grows. Few materials for flooring is as friendly to the environment.
- You can improve the quality of your air with hardwood floors. Carpet and rugs can trap allergens, germs and pet dander in a way that a hardwood floor simply cannot. Many people who suffer from allergies or who have asthma find that living in a home with carpet is just not a possibility. Laminate and tile flooring has areas where the grout is placed that trap the same allergens and pet dander as carpeting and rugs. The best flooring for people with problems such as these is hardwood (or bamboo).
- It is a cost effective way to go. There are some kinds of hardwood flooring that are more expensive than carpeting or tile but that is not a given. If you are open to bamboo, which looks great and is very durable, these can cost less than other flooring materials.
Between the versatility the different hardwood floor textures and colors gives you and the way they keep down costs, this kind of flooring may really be your best option.