More and more people are buying more furniture. Furniture sales and sales at home furnishing stores were only around $52.34 billion in 1992. That amount has risen to around $101.41 billion by the year 2013. While a lot of people say they like Italian leather furniture, there are a lot of misconceptions out there about it. When people learn more actual facts, they are more interested in bringing it into their home. Here is some information about modern European furniture.
- Italian leather furniture can last a very long time. Most contemporary leather furniture is designed to last at least a lifetime. The material leather is a very durable and long lasting one. While, because it is a natural product, it does age over time, that only enhances its natural beauty. Unlike fabric, leather furniture will not fray or wear out. This makes it a great investment in your home. When you buy really good quality leather furniture, you can expect to have it for years to come.
- Leather furniture is very easy to maintain. People sometimes think that leather is hard to maintain. One thing you can do to keep it supple and soft and in the best condition is to condition it about every six to 12 months. If anything should spill on the furniture, that should be wiped off as soon as you notice the spill. Never, under any circumstances use any cleaning products that you use for other things in your home. Even gentle cleaners like liquid dish soap can damage the Italian leather furniture. If you need to use a cleaner, go to a leather furniture store and get some that has been designed to use on the material.
- It is fine for animals to be around leather furniture. There are some exceptions to that rule but contrary to what you may have been told, it is fine for Fluffy or Fido to jump on your black Italian leather sofa. If Fluffy scratches at it or Fido wants to chew on it, that would be a problem for your leather furniture but it would also be a problem, maybe even more so, for fabric furniture, which often frays easily and can be more attractive for cats to scratch. If you are really concerned about it, talk to the store where you are buying your Italian leather furniture about items that have had a more durable finish put on them. That can increase your peace of mind.
- Leather furniture is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Sometimes people think that because their leather car seats get really cold in the winter and really hot in the summer that all leather pieces do that. The simple fact is that your car seats are in your car, which is not something you park in your living room. It is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter so your car seats reflect being outside, not being made of leather. Again, because leather is a natural product, it is breathable. It will be comfortable for you and your family throughout the year. The main thing you need to do is keep it out of the sun.
Here are some ways to keep your fine Italian leather furniture looking great:
- Place your leather furniture correctly. Most leather products can fade when exposed to direct sunlight and other super bright lights.
- Clean it regularly. It really only needs to be wiped with a dry cloth to get rid of dust. You can use a vacuum on the bottom and in the crevices.
- Wipe off any spills as soon as you see them with a dry cloth.
- Condition your leather pieces at least once or twice a year.
- Never use household cleaners on your leather. The only products you should use should be bought at a leather furniture store.
- Get rid of small scratches with a leather oil or conditioner. Just take a little oil or conditioner and put it on a dry cloth. Rub the area gently. If you find you have more that you cannot take care of on your own, call the store where you bought it for guidance. Leather can be a very forgiving material.
Leather furniture can add class and comfort to any home for years.