It’s been said that a home must be made, not bought. That’s certainly true when it comes to home improvement and home remodeling projects. By spending time working on your house, you’re creating and adding to a space that makes you feel comfortable and happy.
One project that can really add a special something to a home is a basement remodeling project. There are numerous benefits that come from such a project, not to mention monetary value as well. Finishing a basement costs 80% less than buying a larger home and finishing a basement remodel can give you more than a 75% return on investment.
Before you start a basement remodeling project, it’s best to consult a basement remodeling company to discuss exactly what you’re going to do. A basement remodeling company can help you make your ideas or visions into reality. The last thing you want is to get started only to realize that you’ve forgotten an important step or not accurately accounted for the space you have.
When you’re crossed all the T’s and dotted the I’s, here are some helpful tips for making your basement remodeling project perfect:
- Return on investment: As previously stated, a successful basement remodel can have a huge return on investment. Let’s say you spend $1,000 on your basement remodel. By doing that, you’ve increased the value of your home and your property by nearly $700. It’s no wonder then that basement remodels have become one of the most popular renovation projects among home owners.
- Bedrooms: Throwing yourself into a basement remodel and doing it successfully can really open up space in your basement. Utilizing that space to its full potential will potential increase your living space in the form of extra bedrooms and extra bathrooms. If you’re looking to add bedrooms as part of the remodel, building rules state it must have to exits as well as a closet. That can easily be done by adding windows. Little touches like that only help the ROI even more and make it more appealing to buyers.
- Bathrooms: Additional bedrooms are great, but so are extra bathrooms, especially if you’ve got a lot of people living under your roof. Not only that, but extra bathrooms also give you an extra feather in the cap if potential buyers are looking your house. Adding an extra bathroom isn’t the easy project in the world—it involves some plumbing work, putting up drywall, etc—but it’s worth the money and will easily be worth the ROI. This is an area where a basement remodeling company can be an invaluable source of information. Plumbing can be tricky and a basement remodeling company can either do the work for you or at least give you some guidance.
- Extra Storage: One of the best benefits of a basement remodeling project can be the addition of a lot of extra space. That space can be turned into bedrooms, bathrooms, organized storage space and even a recreation area. Let’s face it: a basement doesn’t have to be a cold, dark space where belongings are carelessly tossed and clutter builds up. You can turn your basement into a comfortable, inviting spot for gatherings and for hanging out when you need a few minutes to relax.
- An Easy Job: One of the great things about a basement remodel is that you can do as much or as little as you want to with it. Let’s say you’re doing a remodel in preparation for selling your home. If you go all out and add lots of bells and whistles like a fireplace or a wet bar, you’re only adding to your ROI and giving buyers more reason to think about buying your home. If you keep it more low-key, that won’t dissuade buyers from looking at your home. Most buyers are just looking for some decent flooring, lighting and a heat source.
A basement remodel can have plenty of benefits for you as a homeowner, livening up your basement while giving you plenty of extra space to completely transform it into a more comfortable space.